Long Term Support for Open Source
When you consume open source as part of your product development strategy, along with many benefits come a few challenges. For example:
- How mature is a given component?
- Which versions of the many available components work with each other?
- How well do the release schedules for the components align with your product release schedule?
- How well does the velocity of releases between the components you use and software you release align?
- How do I keep track of important issues and especially crucial security vulnerabilities?
- How long will that particular component be supported by the community?
- Which people or organizations can you get support and maintenance from?
- If you are or are willing to be a support provider, who are your customers?
If you think about any of these issues, or similar ones I have not listed, I would be interested to talk with you. Please contact me at andrew dot ross at eclipse dot org.
If you happen to be attending EclipseCon Europe, attend a free information session on Wednesday, October 24th from 16:30 – 17:30 taking place in Seminarräume 5. This session involves other organizations who are also thinking about these issues.